Re: National Digital Public Library (was: Bill Clinton: Create Internet agency)

From: David H. Rothman <davidrothman_at_nyob>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 17:37:01 -0400
To: NGC4LIB_at_LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Eric, I know your viewpoint is common on campus, and, yes, I can see
the public digital system starting out with unencumbered content. But
if we really want to address K-12 and other literacy needs and make
the taxpayers happy, then copyrighted content is a must. Given Bernie
publib background, I'm not surprised he shares my concerns over costs
of copyrighted content. I'm a mere patron, not a librarian, but I am
an ex-child and big publib booster as well as a teacher's brother.

See the Library Journal Point-Counterpoint between me and the DPLA at
http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/home/890732-264/a_point-counterpoint_on_the_digital.html.csp

Understandably, academics and pubic librarians have different
priorities, and this is no small reason why I believe we need two
separate but tightly intertwined systems.

Thanks,
David Rothman
Co-Founder, LibraryCity.org
703-370-6540