Re: OCLC and Michigan State at Impasse Over SkyRiver Cataloging, Resource Sharing Costs

From: Tim Spalding <tim_at_nyob>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 20:18:09 -0500
To: NGC4LIB_at_LISTSERV.ND.EDU
OCLC should be paid for the services they render. Or at least such
services as customers are willing to pay for. That's fair.

So, what is that service?

The core service that OCLC provides is receiving, storing, indexing
and transmitting tiny text files. This sort of service used to be
very, very hard—and therefore expensive. When 1MB hard drives were the
size of tables, and bandwidth was dear, OCLC deserved to be richly
compensated for its effort.

Now, WorldCat can—and has—fit on an iPod and a library spends far more
on streaming a few inane YouTube video than they would to send all
their MARC records to Dublin, OH every day. LibraryThing, a tiny
little company with 9 employees and a rack of crap commodity servers,
has a searchable, continuously updated store of unique records equal
to half of the WorldCat database. And that's not even the main thing
we do—it's a side project we took on, to make it a little faster for
insane book nuts to catalog their Star Trek collection in their
underpants! (And no, we don't sell library data. We never have and
never will.)

The real work here is done by librarians, not OCLC. In the main it's
done by government organizations, and when not, it's done by
non-profit academic institutions. They do it for their own purpose, as
a public service, or in the furtherance of knowledge. And all that tax
money, love and diligence is coopted by an organization in Ohio so
profitable that it lost its tax-exempt status because the judge
couldn't discern a charitable purpose in the business of selling data
services to libraries. (OCLC's tax-exempt status was restored by a
"special bill" of the Ohio legislature.)

Today, when libraries are starting to realize OCLC's core service
isn't worth what it was worth in 1967, OCLC is looking to permanently
lock up their central position with viral contracts and—as the MSU
case makes clear—monopoly pricing and flat-out bullying.

Tim

--
Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding