Re: OCLC annoucement

From: Deborah Fritz <deborah_at_nyob>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 18:06:08 -0400
To: NGC4LIB_at_LISTSERV.ND.EDU
If you 'batchload' your records to OCLC to attach your OCLC code for those
records to matching records in WorldCat, OCLC is now offering to return your
records to you with the OCLC numbers of the matching WorldCat records
inserted in 035$a. The idea being that you will reload those records to your
database in order to get those OCLC numbers in the records in your database.
Hopefully your system is able to load only the 035 field rather than
overwriting your entire database record.

This certainly indicates that OCLC now believes that adding an OCLC number
to a record that is not really an OCLC record is OK. Which means that no one
can now trust that the presence of an OCLC number in a record means that the
record was ever 'an OCLC record'.

So, if your librarys sends 'vendor' records to OCLC for batchloading to set
your holding code on WorldCat for those records, then you will get those
records back with OCLC numbers inserted and can load them back to your
database, set to match on record IDs, and you'll have OCLC numbers in those
records.

Hmm, this announcement certainly goes a long way towards explaining why OCLC
is making this particular offer to batchloading libraries.

Very interesting how this is all fitting together.

My question is, how are libraries supposed to keep their local databases in
sync with WorldCat, for the 'Quick start' version of this; at least until
they replace their entire ILS with the OCLC Web ILS.

Deborah

------
Deborah Fritz
MARC Database Consultant