Re: Ceci n'est pas un catalogue

From: Katherine McConnell <katherine.mcconnell_at_nyob>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 09:14:36 -0400
To: NGC4LIB_at_listserv.nd.edu
Quoting Bernhard Eversberg <ev_at_BIBLIO.TU-BS.DE>:

> Hahn, Harvey wrote:
>> I've argued the non-need of ISBD in MARC records
>> repeatedly in cataloging forums to no avail.  Oh, well...

    I am loving this line of discussion where we pull apart the
components of what we work with.  A MARC database is a thing of
beauty.  Separating it from the constraints of AARC2R and/or ISBD and
even LCSH leaves it open for use in areas other than traditional
libraries.  The design of the database and the level of indexing
available and done by most ILSs leaves me wanting to use it for other
data stores.  And MARCXML starts to look a lot more attractive.  Time
for MARC to break out of the library system?

Katherine McConnell, MISt.
Project Analyst/Metadata
Office of Academic Computing
Faculty of Medicine