Subject: ALCTS Web Course: Fundamentals of Preservation (Sept. 10 - Oct. 5, 2012)
From: ALCTS-CE Announce <[email-masked]>

Apologies in advance for duplicate postings.

ALCTS Web Course: Fundamentals of Preservation
Session: September 10 - October 5, 2012

This is a four-week online course that introduces participants to the
principles, policies and practices of preservation in libraries and
archives. It is designed to inform all staff, across divisions and
departments and at all levels of responsibility. Provides tools to begin
extending the useful life of library collections.

Course components:
- Preservation as a formal library function, and how it reflects and
supports the institutional mission
- The primary role of preventive care, including good storage conditions,
emergency planning, and careful handling of collections
- The history and manufacture of physical formats and how this impacts on
preservation options
- Standard methods of care and repair, as well as reformatting options
- Challenges in preserving digital content and what the implications are
for the future of scholarship

This course is one-third of the Collection Management Elective course
approved by the Library Support Staff Certification Program (LSSCP).

Registration Fees:  $109 ALCTS Member and  $129 Non-member

For additional details, registration, and contact information please see:
http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webcourse/fpres/ol_templ

For questions about registration, contact ALA Registration by calling
1-800-545-2433 and press 5 or email [email-masked]. For all other
questions or comments related to the web courses, contact Julie Reese,
ALCTS Events Manager at 1-800-545-2433, ext. 5034 or [email-masked].

Posted on behalf of the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee.