Re: marc in json

From: Bill Dueber <bill_at_nyob>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 09:41:08 -0500
I've worked to deprecate marc-hash (what tends to be referred to as "Bill
Dueber's JSON format") in favor of Ross's marc-in-json. To the best of my
knowledge, there is marc-in-json support for ruby (current ruby-marc), PHP
(current File_MARC), marc4j (currently in trunk, soon to be released, I
think), and perl (MARC::Record in the next release). I think that covers
all the major players except the IndexData yaz- stuff.

[Galen, any word on that next release of the perl module?]

I, at least, already use marc-in-json in production (It's a great way to
store MARC in solr). It would be great if folks would have the confidence
to use it, at least as a single-record format. I think for wider adoption
we'll need to all have either (a) json pull-parsers to read in a file that
contains an array of marc-in-json objects, or (b) a decision to use
newline-delimited-json (or some other record-delimiter), so folks can put
more than one of these in a file and be able to get them out without
running out of memory.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Ross Singer <> wrote:

> Ed, I think this would be great.  Obviously, there's zero
> standardization around MARC/JSON (Andrew Houghton has come the
> "closest" by writing up the most RFC-y proposal:
> I generally fall more in the camp of "working code wins", though,
> which, solely on the basis of MARC parser support, would put my
> proposal in front.  In the end, I don't think it matters which style
> is adopted; it's an interchange format, any one of them works (and
> they all, including Bill Dueber's) has their pluses and minuses.  The
> more important thing is that we pick -one- and go with it so we can
> use it with some confidence.
> While we're on the subject, if there are any other serializations of
> MARC that people are legitimately interested in (TurboMARC, for
> example:
> and wish ruby-marc supported, let me know.
> Thanks,
> -Ross.
> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 5:57 AM, Ed Summers <> wrote:
> > Martin Czygan recently added JSON support to pymarc [1]. Before this
> > gets rolled into a release I was wondering if it might make sense to
> > bring the implementation in line with Ross Singer's proposed JSON
> > serialization for MARC [2]. After quickly looking around it seems to
> > be what got implemented in ruby-marc [3] and PHP's File_MARC [4]. It
> > also looked like there was a MARC::Record branch [5] for doing
> > something similar, but I'm not sure if that has been released yet.
> >
> > It seems like a no-brainer to bring it in line, but I thought I'd ask
> > since I haven't been following the conversation closely.
> >
> > //Ed
> >
> > [1]
> > [2]
> > [3]