Re: JHU integration of PD works

From: Karen Coyle <lists_at_nyob>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:44:36 -0700
Yes, I know about this, and I think this is great ... for Evergreen
users. My concern is how we get it out there to the majority of
libraries who aren't on an OS platform and/or cannot make changes to
their UI. As I think your post demonstrates, what we need is to get
through to the system vendors and get them to implement this kind of
linking. I intend to chat up vendors in the exhibits at ALA to find
out what this means to them. I suspect they are reluctant to rely on a
system or feature that may not be stable or persistent (a reasonable
reluctance when you have thousands of installations), so then the
question becomes: how can this be made to work?

Quoting Dan Scott <dscott_at_LAURENTIAN.CA>:

> (Apologies in advance if this looks like crap, I hate trying to
> reply in context in GroupWise)
>> Quoting Eric Hellman <eric_at_HELLMAN.NET>:
>>> What are the reasons that this sort of integration not more
>>> widespread? Are they technical or institutional? What can be done by
>>> producers of open access content to make this work better and
>>> easier? Are "unified" approaches being touted by vendors delivering
>>> something really different?
>> I've been struggling with this around the Open Library digital texts:
>> how can we make them available to libraries through their catalogs?
> You're aware of the recent addition of the OpenLibrary Read API,
> which is meant to simplify exactly this problem, right?
> The official announcement was at
> ;
> describes how I integrated it into Evergreen
> with a few hours' effort (mostly helping to debug the new service);
> the official documentation is at
> and I augment those docs in
> the latter half of the presentation I gave last week (available in
> plain text, html, and epub formats at
> ).
>> When I look at the install documentation for Umlaut [1](I was actually
>> hoping to find a "technical requirements" list), it's obvious that it
>> takes developer chops. We're not going to find that in a small,
>> medium, or often even a large public library. It seems to me that this
>> kind of feature will not be widely available until it is included in
>> ILS software, since that's what most libraries have.
> The OpenLibrary digital editions enhancement approach I took in
> Evergreen was about 100 lines of JavaScript (around here:
> ), most of which could probably be cloned (under
> the GPL v2 or later) to any other library system from which you can
> scrape ISBNs or other identifiers (LCCN, OCLC, or OpenLibrary IDs).
> Note that the Evergreen-OpenLibrary integration hasn't been merged
> yet, but the branch is there and will hopefully make its way into
> core Evergreen soon.

Karen Coyle
ph: 1-510-540-7596
m: 1-510-435-8234