Re: MODS and DCTERMS

From: Karen Coyle <lists_at_nyob>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 10:07:41 -0700
To: CODE4LIB_at_LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Quoting MJ Suhonos <mj_at_SUHONOS.CA>:

> Let me give another example: the Open Library API returns a JSON
> tree, eg. http://openlibrary.org/books/OL1M.json
>
> But what schema is this?  And if it doesn't conform to a standard
> schema, does that make it useless? If it were based on DCTERMS, at
> least I'd have a reference at
> http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/ to define the semantics
> being used (and an RDF namespace at http://purl.org/dc/terms/ to
> boot).

Ah, after my own heart! I have tried to convince the OL folks to
translate their data to dcterms, even did a crosswalk for them. Right
now they're in panic mode over a major milestone, but once that's over
I may ping you to make this request directly to them on one of their
lists. If they only hear it from me, it might just be a personal quirk
of mine, right?

kc
p.s. The JSON API output doesn't require any programming when it uses
their data elements; it does do crosswalk to dcterms.... that's been
the hangup. Then again... their code is open source, the crosswalk I
did is linked from the launchpad entry here [1] so if anyone wants to
contribute...

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/openlibrary/+bug/277509
--
Karen Coyle