holdings standards/protocols

From: Chris Keene <C.J.Keene_at_nyob>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:05:20 +0000
To: CODE4LIB_at_LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Hi

We recently implemented a new third party web catalogue (Aquabrowser).

So far so good, and separating the web based discovery layer from the
monolithic ILS seems to be the right direction.

However there seems to be two areas of weakness: Holdings and 'My
Accout' (renewal, reservations). i.e. the need for  *any*
catalogue/discovery system to allow users to see holdings and account
info from *any* ils.

I'm trying to get my facts right on the current situation. Any help
appreciated.

re Holdings.  Two things come up when asking around and looking on the
web (some what briefly), Z39.50 and ISO 20775.

Can anyone give me an idea if any/many/all (ILS) Z implementations have
implemented the holdings information?

Is there a way of testing this using a client such as yaz (e.g. a worked
example of seeing holdings via Z)

Is there interest from ILS suppliers in the ISO holdings standard, are
any of them implementing it?

http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso20775/
http://www.portia.dk/zholdings/
http://www.nlbconference.com/ilds/plenary4B.htm

Thanks for any info
Chris
--
Chris Keene                                     C.J.Keene_at_sussex.ac.uk
Technical Development Manager                   Tel (01273) 877950